Saturday 30 April 2022

MY POST-COVID VISIT TO THE USA

 Dear Friends,

I was awake at 6 on Wednesday morning, April 6, 2022; I had had a solid six hours of sleep; thank God. I got up at 6.45 and finished packing. Barbara and I had our devotions and then Saeed came downstairs and joined us; he also prayed, soon insisting of coming with me 100 yards to the bus stop carrying my suitcase. He prays so freshly. Then the bus took me to the Acton tube station and in half an hour I was at Heathrow. There were no huge crowds of frustrated passengers facing cancelled flights. Nothing like that at all. It was the same as usual and I speedily went through Departures. They asked to see the confirmation that had arrived by Email last night that I was Covid-free. Security was a pain having to unzip and extract from my packed case my I-pad and my laptop, but having done that I was ushered through the security arch. I had two hours to wait for the flight departure to Charlotte, in North Carolina. The plane was totally full. There was an American old boy sitting next to me, ten years younger than me, but not very talkative. He had been visiting his daughter who runs a wine shop in London. She had married a Brit but now they were divorced, but she had remained in London. There was a film called ‘Pig’ that I had read about and so I watched it because of my books on Piers Pig (as yet unpublished, if ever . . .). Very odd film. Slow and confusing; I could not understand the ending. Then I watched the film about the deaf family that had been chosen as the best film of the year in the Oscars. Again, it was not too wholesome and I ached for it to finish. The nine-hour flight was too long to be spent exclusively in reading, but the meal was good, delicious salad and then cheese and crackers and warm chicken. I was not too sleepy; too much adrenalin through the anticipation of the next 17 days. I had a good conversation with a man in the Charlotte queue as we went for 15 minutes through security crawling along in yet another long departure line, but putting these inconveniences behind me, with over an hour to wait for the Mississippi flight to be boarded, I filled the time by beginning this letter.

Tommy Peaster was waiting for me at Jackson airport. What a lovely sight! He called Linda, outside with the car, to bring it to the upper exit, and soon we were driving the 40 minutes to their home in Flora and chatting away as if we had seen each other just last week. I was not weary and kept awake until 11. Linda made me some warm cheese sandwiches and vegetable and meat soup and we talked until I went to my suite. I took a sleeping tablet and it helped. I was awake briefly at 3 and then at 6 and finally got up at 8.30. Perfect! One has to add six hours to USA time, and I am rapidly training my body clock to adapt to the new regimen of Central Time here.

We drove into Yazoo City for lunch and then went to a funeral service of a beloved old lady in the church. Up in her 90s she and a companion would visit on Sunday afternoons old people’s homes to encourage the residents. I met a host of the sweetest people during the hour before the service renewing friendship with them as we sat and I talked to this one and that. Then at 3 p.m. the service began with 60 people in the congregation, the suited elders sat in the front. We sang Great is Thy faithfulness, and It is well with my soul. The service was led by Guy Waters, one of the professors of Systematic Theology in Reformed Seminary (under an hour away) who is often the preacher in the Peasters’ Second Presbyterian church in Yazoo City. He was great, speaking on what difference Jesus makes to our attitude to death and pointing out the answer from John 11 and Jesus’ conversation with Mary and Martha and the raising of Lazarus. It was simply grand. Then we drove in a procession led by a police car 25 or so miles to a country graveyard to the burial. That was brief, no singing and no coffin being lowered into the ground. Those earthy elements I did miss, but talking to people before and after that service again was most enriching and we got home by 4.45. We had an evening indoors and Linda cooked my favourite dish of hers, Crab Gratin. On Friday Tommy had an appointment to test some hearing aids and I sat and wrote and read and walked down the slope to the lake passing the tiny humming birds swooping down on their feeder just outside the window on the veranda. It is still too cold to enter the swimming pool, but it has been a bright sunny day. They returned at 1.30 and in the afternoon six old friends joined us including Will Thompson’s widow and Sonny Peaster and his wife Patsy and Bob Cato and his wife Marie (in spite of her ill health). I enjoyed their company and conversation very much especially Sonny who later told Linda it had been the best hours for him in an age. I gave them a story and lesson that they received well. I have admired these men for years and what they have done has set a standard for a local church for me. Jonathan Winch of Newcastle is speaking there this Sunday.

That night we went out for catfish and when we got back Tommy and I had a golden hour together quietly talking about God’s dealings with us over the forty years that we have known one another. Tommy has three things seriously wrong and yet he is active and his mind is sharp. He is a great man and it has been one of the Lord’s blessings that our families have been close for all these years. I cling to them with my letters, and it had been so rewarding.

So Saturday morning Linda drove me the 45 minutes to the Jackson airport and I flew to Dallas just over an hour away. There was Mack Tomlinson waiting for me and after another 45 minutes riding with him we were in Denton, at his home, meeting his wife Linda once again. He has preached in Alfred Place Church in Aberystwyth and they stayed in the Manse. They remember the congregation, and my sister-in-law Rhiain Lewis and Keith, and also Ifan Mason Davies and Ann. Mack set out before me what we would do the rest of the day. Then we were eating with some of the church officers at 5.30. 

At 5 we left for the Greenhouse Restaurant, and there were five couples from the church waiting for us. I was asked loads of questions about Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in particular, and later about John Murray. They enjoyed my memories and laughed at the appropriate times. What a superb group of men and women they are and I was preaching for them on this my third visit starting at 9.30 tomorrow. The temperature here is in the 80s and Mack and I went for a walk in the nearby park before turning in for the night.

Geoff Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment

RELICS WELCOME IN THE UK, BUT NOT FRANKLIN GRAHAM

    Dear Friends,                                     May 22, 2022 On Tuesday I continued at the International Presbyterian Church (what...